Friday, January 6, 2012

Best Friends and Serial Killers


V.V. came over today and our little girls had the chance to play together for the first time since before Christmas! That is an unusually long time to go without seeing each other since our families are, well, like family and at a minimum hang out once a week. It was so good to see her and even better to watch the girls play and interact with each other.

A few pictures from the day:




The weather could not have been more perfect so we loaded the girls up in the ol' radio flyer wagon and went walking in the neighborhood. We were crossing a street as a man in a white van was exiting. He let us cross the street first. As we reached the safe sidewalk ahead he rolled down his window and shouted, "Hot girls in moccasins!" Cool dude. ...Really though, I sort of wanted to say thanks for the compliment. We walked and talked some more and as we got closer to my street we saw him again. What makes this weird is that these streets don't join and there is little reason for someone to just go up and down each one of them. He rolled the window down again, "Where did you get your moccasins?" I appreciate neighborliness, so I obliged with a brief explanation. I was still perplexed about him though and assumed he must be a realtor since I could see a black binder in his car plus he's a dude in a white minivan. I asked. "No." That's all he said. Still no explanation why he was cruising the safe streets of my neighborhood. With that he drove off. It was strange to me, but I also realize I can be paranoid about strangers.

Let me mention exhibit B of said paranoia:

Nathan and I went through a pretty morbid phase of our relationship where we almost exclusively watched Law & Order and any other TV show that had anything to do with mobs, gangsters, serial killers, or unsolved murders. I generally don't regret my programming choices, but there is one show I wish I never ever ever watched: Interview with the IceMan Killer. (I don't know if that's the exact title, but that's the idea). This guy was the type of serial killer who was dad by day and monster by night. He could live in your neighborhood. He explained his kills. I was gripped and terrified by the random simplicity of his victims. He said he hid in one person's closet all day, and at night snuck out as they peacefully slept and killed them! This single bit of information has provoked me to do a nightly psycho-check in every closet and crevice of my house. It's totally disrupting to any normal routine, but his creepy story dances around in my mind if I attempt to lay in bed without checking at least every closet. Ridiculous. I know.

And really what would I do if someone was standing or crouched in my closet? I think of this often. In my mind I run through a catalog of combat moves I can unleash. I'd reveal them on here, but who knows who is reading! So serial killer, if you are reading this: Be careful. I'm ready to pounce. My moves are deadly, and they are for me to know and for you to find out.

yours,
Tiffany



2 comments:

  1. If you DO pounce I think that you should wear your mocassins, this will be your distraction tactic. Oh sorry, now you will need to wear your mocassins for the closet check every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea, Val! Then they won't hear me coming either! Is there such thing as steel-toed moccasins?

    ReplyDelete